FINAL: Royals 4, White Sox 1
The White Sox had a chance to sweep their first series of the year in front of another packed house on Sunday Funday. Unfortunately, Jakob Junis was masterful for the Royals over seven innings of work. He completely baffled Ricky’s Boys, who couldn’t get consistent offense going before falling 4-1.
Hunter Dozier opened up the scoring with one swing of the bat in the top of the third to give Kansas City a 3-0 lead. As for the Sox, they were looking for a breakthrough all afternoon. After scattering five hits throughout Junis’ start, it looked like they had a chance to get things going against the Royals’ bullpen.
Reliever Kevin McCarthy came in during the 8th inning and got into some trouble. After a run scored to cut it to 4-1, the South Siders got a break when an error put Abreu and Anderson on first and third respectively with only one out. Like the rest of the afternoon, little came to fruition as Eloy Jimenez grounded into a double play to end the last real threat of the ballgame. Cleveland, here we come!
- Tim Anderson (SS): 2-for-4, 2 2B, K
- Yoan Moncada (3B): 0-for-4, RBI
- Jose Abreu (1B): 2-for-4
- Eloy Jimenez (LF): 0-for-3, BB
- Yasmani Grandal (C): 1-for-4, 3 K
- Edwin Encarnacion (DH): 1-for-4, 2 K
- Nomar Mazara (RF): 0-for-3, K
- Luis Robert (CF): 1-for-4, SB, 2 K
- Danny Mendick (2B): 0-for-2, K
- Yermin Mercedes (PH): 1-for-1, singles to left for first career hit
- Adam Engel (PR-2B): 0-for-0, run
- Dylan Cease (L, 0-1): 5.0 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 4 BB, 3 K
- Jimmy Cordero: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
- Jace Fry: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
- Aaron Bummer: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
W: Jakob Junis (1-0) | L: Dylan Cease (0-1)
Player of the Game
- Tim Anderson: 2-for-4, 2 2B
Game Broadcast presented by Sox In The Basement
Follow our friends on Twitter at @SoxInTheBasemnt!
The Indians swept the Tigers to get sole possession of the division, while Minnesota dropped another game to split their four game set in Oakland.
- Indians: 3-0
- White Sox 2-1, 1 GB
- Twins: 2-2, 1.5 GB
- Royals: 1-2, 2 GB
- Tigers, 0-3, 3 GB
The White Sox are currently en route to Cleveland where they will kick off a six-game road trip. Gio Gonzalez has the Monday night start against the Tribe.
For more White Sox content, be sure to follow @SoxOn35th on all social media platforms!