Despite the fact that two Burger blasts left the park today, the White Sox fell short to the Padres 6-5 in this afternoon’s game on the road.
Mike Clevinger made his official White Sox debut on the mound, throwing 2.2 innings and giving up two runs while striking out four. Joe Kelly and Jake Diekman were other notable names to pitch today. Kelly went one inning allowing no runs while also striking out one. Diekman on the other hand did not have the same good fortune on the mound. The southpaw allowed three runs on three hits and struck out one in 0.2 innings pitched.
On the offensive end of things, the charge was led by Jake Burger, who launched two home runs in four trips to the plate, recording three RBIs. Oscar Colas jumped into the power surge late in the game for his first long ball of the spring. Elsewhere, Andrew Vaughn recorded a triple; however, other than Burger and Colas, there wasn’t much offensive output from the Sox today.
With the loss, the White Sox move to 7-6 in Spring Training.
W: Tim Hill (1-0) | L: Jake Diekman (0-1) | S: Drew Carlton (2)
- Jake Burger: 2-for-4, 2 HR, 3 RBI
- Oscar Colas: 1-for-1, HR, RBI
- Andrew Vaughn: 1-for-4, 3B
- Yasmani Grandal: 1-for-3
- Mike Clevinger: 2.2 IP, 2 ER, 4 H, 0 BB, 4 K
- J.B. Olson: 0.1 IP, 0 ER, 0 H, 0 BB
- Joe Kelly: 1.0 IP, 0 ER, 1 H, 1 K
- Jake Diekman: 0.2 IP, 3 ER, 3 H, 1 BB, 1 K
- John Parke: 0.1 IP, 0 ER, 0 H, 0 BB
- Franklin German: 2.0 IP, 0 ER, 0 H, 0 BB, 2 K
- Lane Ramsey: 1.0 IP, 1 ER, 2 H
The White Sox will continue Cactus League play tomorrow against the Los Angeles Angels. Michael Kopech will make his Spring Training debut as he takes on Griffin Canning.
The game starts at 3:05 pm CT and will be available to watch on NBC Sports Chicago.
Follow us @SoxOn35th for more throughout the Spring!
Featured Image: White Sox / Twitter