Here at Sox On 35th, we boast a talented and passionate team of contributors that provides coverage all year long. To help you get familiar with our staff, we will be rolling out our “Meet the Team” article series throughout the offseason. In this edition, we get to know our Tommy Gross.
Hello! My name is Tommy Gross and I’m a contributor for Sox On 35th. I’ve been a diehard White Sox fan for as long as I can remember. Neither of my parents are Sox fans, but my dad took me to a Sox game when I was young due to the tickets being cheap and I fell in love with the South Side.
I joined this page in 2021 with no writing experience, but a strong passion for the team. It has been fantastic to be able to share my thoughts and opinions, and I appreciate anyone who has taken the time to read one of my articles!
- Page Role: Contributor
- Hometown: Arlington Heights, IL
- Current Town: Milwaukee, WI
- Education/Major: Mathematical Economics – Marquette University
- Favorite White Sox Player: Yoan Moncada (Current), Paul Konerko (All-Time)
- Favorite Non-White Sox Player: Don’t have one right now but all time is Dave Stieb (I’m not counting the 22.0 IP for the Sox in 1993)
- Favorite Thing About Being a White Sox Fan: It’s cliche and everyone has been saying it, but it has to be the community. White Sox Twitter as a whole is such a fun group of people and I love being a part of it
- Least Favorite Baseball Team: Minnesota Twins
- Favorite White Sox Uniform: Home 83s
- “Mount Rushmore” of White Sox Players: Frank Thomas, Paul Konerko, Minnie Minosa, Luis Appling
- Favorite In-Person White Sox Memory: Yasmani Grandal’s walk-off against the Rays in 2021
- Least Favorite In-Person White Sox Memory: Dylan Cease letting up seven runs in three innings and the Sox losing 16-3.
- Favorite Baseball Movie: Moneyball
- Favorite Baseball Stat: wRC+
- Favorite Ballpark Food: The plethora of beer stands (I prefer the liquid dinner)
- Favorite Ballpark: Guaranteed Rate Field – I’ve sadly only gone to just two others: Wrigley and Am Fam Field
- Ballpark You Want to Visit: PNC Park in Pittsburgh
- All-time Favorite Broadcaster Call: Instead of going with the Buerhle perfect game, I’m going with the Jordan Danks walk-off home run. I don’t know why this one resonates with me so much, but I just love Hawk on the call.
- Celebrity Crush: Emma Watson
- Who Would Play You in a Movie: Ashton Kutcher
- Favorite Fast Food: Raising Canes
- Favorite TV Show: The Wire or The Sopranos
- Favorite Hobbies: Going to concerts
- Dream Vacation: Definitely Greece. Just seems like such a beautiful country.
- Dream Job: Working in an analytics department for any sports team.
- Last Concert Attended: Black Midi
- Favorite Band/Artist: Tame Impala, Beach House, and MGMT
- Favorite Professional Team Aside from Baseball: Chicago Bears
- Favorite Personal Sports Moment: A couple of months ago, I played in co-ed a flag football tournament to fundraise for cerebral palsy. Our team had two guys on it, including myself, and about nine girls. We were the severe underdogs going into the tournament. We played an all-girls team in the first round of the tournament and I had four touchdowns and four picks. Easily my best performance since elementary school recess. We got destroyed the next round, but I’m still on cloud nine from the first.
- Twitter: @tommy_gro
- Instagram: @tommy_gro