Here at Sox On 35th, we boast a talented and passionate group of contributors that provides coverage all year long. To help you get familiar with our staff, we will be rolling out our “Meet the Team” article series throughout the offseason. In this edition, we get to know our Michael Suareo.
What’s up to anyone who’s actually reading about some random blogger with only 200 Twitter followers! My name is Michael Suareo, and on top of my day job, I am a contributor for Sox On 35th. I have been a diehard Sox fan since I was five years old, and I absolutely love being able to put my thoughts and opinions out there on this platform.
I received my degree in Marketing from Carthage College back in 2017, and I am currently enrolled part-time in the MBA program at Dominican University with just one semester left! I also work full-time as a Marketing Automation Specialist (it will take more time than it’s worth to explain my job, so we will leave it at that).
As a massive Sox fan, I jumped at the opportunity to write for the best White Sox blog on the internet back in September of 2021. It has been an amazing experience, as I have gotten to interact with awesome fellow fans and become much more involved in the fan community – especially White Sox Twitter. I am also a huge fan of the Green Bay Packers and Ohio State, so as you can imagine, seeing Justin Fields in a Bears uniform is a gut punch every time.
If you read my articles, you might notice that I tend to focus more on prospects and the minor league system. I became invested with the minor leagues back in high school because of a fantasy baseball league I was in, and then during the rebuild, I was able to stay interested in the White Sox by keeping track of their top prospects. I have always enjoyed tracking the development of these players, so being able to share my thoughts with White Sox fans now is a fantastic experience.
- Page Role: Contributor
- Hometown: Saint Charles, IL
- Education/Major: Received my Marketing Degree from Carthage College in 2017. I am currently on track to receive my MBA from Dominican University in the Spring of 2023.
- Favorite White Sox Player: Eloy Jimenez, although I like to believe that I’m the driver of the Gavin Sheets bandwagon
- Favorite non-White Sox Player: Current player would be Vladdy Jr. Former player, I’ll go with either Gary Sheffield or Mike Piazza.
- Favorite Thing About Being a White Sox Fan: Going to a game at the park is always a great time. Reasonably-priced tickets, great food, and even better company
- Least Favorite Baseball Team: After signing Abreu, my hatred for the Astros runs deep. But also, F!@# the Twins.
- Favorite White Sox Uniform: The City Connect jerseys were just done right.
- “Mount Rushmore” of White Sox Players: Frank Thomas, “Shoeless” Joe Jackson, Luke Appling, Ted Lyons
- Favorite In-Person White Sox Memory: I want to go with Paulie’s standing ovation at the last game of his career, but I still hate that he didn’t finish that game. So, Game 3 against the Astros in the playoffs last year was still the most electric ball game I have ever been at in person.
- Least Favorite In-Person White Sox Memory: I don’t have many bad memories at games, although I did get a nasty sunburn at a 95-degree game one time in the bleachers. That was rough.
- Favorite Baseball Movie: Major League
- Favorite Baseball Stat: For fantasy baseball purposes, BABIP (Batting Average on Balls In Play) helps me know when to buy low or sell high on some guys
- Favorite Ballpark Food: The helmet nachos at the park are goated
- Favorite Ballpark: Going to stick with Guaranteed Rate, but mostly because I haven’t been to that many others.
- Ballpark You Want to Visit: Fenway is on my bucket list.
- All-time Favorite Broadcaster Call: This might be a common pick, but “Call your sons, call your daughters. Call your friends, call your neighbors…” is just iconic.
- Celebrity Crush: Margot Robbie (Don’t tell my fiancé)
- Who Would Play You in a Movie: I like to think that Seth Rogan would capture me perfectly
- Favorite Fast-Food: Taco Bell, especially after midnight
- Favorite TV Show: The Mandalorian (This is the way)
- Favorite Hobbies: I got back into collecting baseball cards about a year ago, and I might be addicted now…
- Dream Vacation: Italy
- If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be? A medium-rare ribeye, roasted potatoes, and an ice-cold beer.
- Last Concert Attended: Zack Brown Band
- Favorite Professional Team Aside from Baseball: Green Bay Packers (@ me)
- Favorite cartoon character? Any answer other than Batman is wrong (RIP Kevin Conroy)