Here at Sox On 35th, we boast a talented and passionate group of contributors that provides coverage all year long. To help you get familiar with our staff, we will be rolling out our “Meet the Team” article series throughout the offseason. In this edition, we get to know our Matt Cotner.
My name is Matt Cotner, and I am a contributor here at Sox On 35th. I am from Northwest Indiana and have been a White Sox fan my whole life. Earlier this year, I graduated from Notre Dame with a degree in Economics and Political Science, where I also wrote for the school’s magazine.
I am one of this site’s newest additions, but I have loved taking part so far, despite the disappointing 2022 season. Outside of the White Sox, other sports teams I am passionate about are the Dallas Cowboys and the Notre Dame Basketball teams.
- Page Role: Contributor
- Hometown: Highland, IN
- Current Town: St. Louis, MO
- Education/Major: Economics – University of Notre Dame
- Favorite White Sox Player: Tim Anderson or Liam Hendriks
- Favorite non-White Sox Player: Trey Mancini. While I can’t stand the Astros, I am very happy that he got a ring.
- Favorite Thing About Being a White Sox Fan: I love all of the uniforms and gear, and I also love going to games. While the team has not always been great, I think the food is good and the stadium atmosphere is always fun.
- Least Favorite Baseball Team: Minnesota Twins. I hated the Morneau and Mauer teams that always seemed to beat us when I was growing up.
- Favorite White Sox Uniform: The 1983 throwbacks worn at home on Sundays. While I love the city connect jerseys, the swingman takes the cake.
- “Mount Rushmore” of White Sox Players: Mark Buehrle, Paul Konerko, Frank Thomas, Minnie Minoso
- Favorite In-Person White Sox Memory: 2015 Crosstown Classic. Chris Sale pitched seven scoreless and struck out 15. I remember he worked out of a jam in the last inning of his outing and the stadium was electric. Honorable mention goes to Opening Day in 2013 where a solo shot by Tyler Flowers was the only scoring.
- Least Favorite In-Person White Sox Memory: There isn’t a particularly bad game that sticks out to me, but I like everyone else attended many rough games during the 2010s.
- Favorite Baseball Movie: Angels in the Outfield
- Favorite Baseball Stat: wRC+
- Favorite Ballpark Food: The brat at Guaranteed Rate with peppers and onions
- Favorite Ballpark: PNC Park
- Ballpark You Want to Visit: Oracle Park
- All-time Favorite Broadcaster Call: This is a common one I imagine, but not sure you can beat “Call your sons, call your daughters! Call your friends, call your neighbors!”
- Favorite cartoon character: Scooby-Doo
- Favorite Fast-Food: Wendy’s, the spicy nuggets are unmatched (if Portillos counts as fast food, then I would say that, can’t get enough of their Italian Beef)
- Favorite TV Show: Modern Family
- Favorite Season: Fall
- Dream Vacation: Traveling around Europe, especially Germany and Italy
- Dream Job: College Professor
- Last Concert Attended: Flo Rida at a county fair in Missouri (random, I know).
- Favorite Band/Artist: I don’t really have a favorite, but lately I have listened to a lot of Post Malone
- Favorite Professional Team Aside from Baseball: Dallas Cowboys
- Favorite Personal Sports Moment: Winning an intramural kickball league in college