Here at Sox On 35th, we boast a talented and passionate group of contributors that provides coverage all year long. To help you get familiar with our staff, we will be rolling out our “Meet the Team” article series throughout the year. In this edition, we get to know Ike Gordon.
My name is Ike Gordon and I am a videographer and photographer who lives in Charlotte, NC. I was born in Algonquin, IL where I followed in the footsteps of my dad and became a Sox fan. My family moved to Charlotte when I was five, and luckily three of the four Sox affiliates are within an hour’s drive, so White Sox baseball has never been too far away.
I played baseball all growing up and went on to play ball at Covenant College where I studied in Sports Management and Marketing. I gained my love for photography and videography from annual spring break road trips out west to national parks with my college friends. I fell in love with it and have run with it as my career ever since graduating.
I’ve always wanted to stay around sports and I’ve found photography and videography as a great way to still be on the field beyond my playing days. Baseball is filled with great stories, I mean Brad Pitt said it best: “How can you not be romantic about baseball?” If it ever works out one day, I’d love to be a video producer for the Sox.
When I’m not working, you can find me watching Sox games or really any other sporting event. You can also find me traveling around the country and world and going to concerts with my girlfriend.
- Page Role: MiLB Content Creator
- Hometown: Huntersville, NC
- Current Town (if different from hometown): Charlotte, NC
- Education/Major: Sports Management, Covenant College
- Favorite White Sox Player: TA7
- Favorite non-White Sox Player: Bryce Harper
- Favorite Thing About Being a White Sox Fan: The eternal pain and suffering… but actually my favorite part is just having them as a constant in my life each day for six months a year and the child-like joy it brings when I do get to see them play in person.
- Least Favorite Baseball Team: Cubs
- Favorite White Sox Uniform: Bring back the vests
- “Mount Rushmore” of White Sox Players: The Big Hurt, Paulie, Pudge, Minnie Miñoso
- Favorite In-Person White Sox Memory: As a Charlotte resident I don’t get to enough Sox games, but as a child, I remember there was a Sox vs Cubs game where Sosa struck out to end the game and Comiskey went insane.
- Least Favorite In-Person White Sox Memory: I was out at Coors for the Sox series in 2022 and saw that bonehead base running blunder at third by Garcia.
- Favorite Baseball Movie: Field of Dreams
- Favorite Baseball Stat: OPS
- Favorite Ballpark Food: Brat
- Favorite Ballpark: I really loved PNC Park
- Ballpark You Want to Visit: Dodger Stadium. And also for no good reason, The Coliseum before the A’s move.
- All-time Favorite Broadcaster Call: “What a Play by Wise…MERCY!”
- If you were to choose to play in the Olympics, what sport would you participate in?: Handball seems like a great time
- Favorite Fast-Food: Cookout (Northerners wouldn’t understand)
- Favorite TV Show: Ted Lasso
- Favorite Hobbies: Watching sports, going to games, working out, hiking, cooking in my new air fryer/instant pot, astrophotography, going to concerts
- Dream Vacation: Iceland to Photograph the northern lights
- Dream Job: Travel Sports Videographer. Travel around the world, telling stories of how sport impacts everyone around the world.
- What would you sing at Karaoke night?: Mr. Brightside is the go-to
- Favorite Band/Artist: Currently a tie between The Avett Brothers and Zach Bryan
- Favorite Professional Team Aside from Baseball: Chicago Bears and Charlotte FC
- Favorite Sports Moment: Tie between the Sox winning the World Series and Clemson winning the CFP in 2016.