Gio Gonzalez’s impeccable start to the season came to an end as he was handed his first loss at the hands of the Tigers, 6-1.
While still somewhat hard to fathom, Gonzalez has been the team’s top starter and leading All-Star vote getter after beginning the season with an 8-0 record, 2.73 ERA, and 1.18 WHIP. He’s also ranked second on the team with 83 strikeouts, just behind Lucas Giolito. That good fortune ran out today as the Tigers pounced to score five earned on six hits over the course of six and a third innings.
The White Sox offense didn’t really bring their A-game today. They did hit the ball well, tallying nine hits off Detroit’s Michael Fulmer and Bryan Garcia. However, run production was the missing ingredient, as Yoan Moncada was the only man to cross the plate after his 13th home run.
The team will look to split the series tomorrow before traveling to third-place Cleveland this weekend.
FINAL: Tigers 6, White Sox 1
- Luis Robert (CF): 0-for-4, BB, K
- Yasmani Grandal (C): 2-for-3, 2 BB, K
- Jose Abreu (1B): 0-for-4
- Yoan Moncada (3B): 2-for-4, HR (13), RBI, 2 K, run
- Eloy Jimenez (LF): 1-for-3, K, HBP
- Edwin Encarnacion (DH): 0-for-3, BB, K
- Leury Garcia (RF): 2-for-4, 2B (15)
- Danny Mendick (SS): 1-for-4
- Nick Madrigal (2B): 1-for-4, 2 K, CS (2)
- Gio Gonzalez (L, 8-1): 6.1 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 0 BB, 4 K
- Tayron Guerrero: 0.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
- Evan Marshall: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K
W: Michael Fulmer (W, 6-6) | L: Gio Gonzalez (8-1)
Player of the Game
- Yasmani Grandal (C): 6-for-6, 2 HR (20), 5 RBI, 2 runs
Game Broadcast presented by Sox In The Basement
Follow our friends on Twitter at @SoxInTheBasemnt!
Once again down to 5.5 games back following Minnesota’s win.
- Twins: 51-24
- White Sox: 45-29, 5.5 GB
- Indians: 45-30, 6.0 GB
- Royals: 28-47, 23.0 GB
- Tigers: 24-48, 25.0 GB
Reynaldo Lopez (4-3, 3.97 ERA) goes up against the winless Daniel Norris (0-9, 5.53 ERA). First pitch is at 12:10 PM CST.
For more White Sox content, be sure to follow us on social media @SoxOn35th!
Featured Edit: Brandon Anderson