It wasn’t an ideal first night in Anaheim for the White Sox pitching staff. An eight-run sixth inning allowed the Angels to coast to a 12-4 win to open up the three-game set.
Tim Anderson and Jose Abreu began the scoring in the third by muscling out a pair of solo shots to opposite fields. With a fresh 2-0 lead, Giolito struggled in the bottom of the inning by surrendering an RBI double to David Fletcher. Luckily, the Sox got that run back as Jose Abreu went deep again in the fifth to make it a 3-1 game. Then…well…things got ugly.
Two home runs in the bottom of the fifth resulted in three runs on the board for the Angels, putting the Sox in a 4-3 hole. With double-barreled action now going in the pen, Giolito still couldn’t get back on track in the sixth. A leadoff walk and single to center was all Ricky needed to see before turning to Jimmy Cordero. This would be a nightmare decision as the first two batters reached base via a walk and hit by pitch. Then, it was a full-on hit parade. The Angels finished the 50-pitch inning by scoring eight runs on five hits and three walks.
That’s how you lose ballgames, and that’s exactly what happened.
FINAL: Angels 12, White Sox 4
- Tim Anderson (SS): 2-for-4, HR (4), BB, RBI, run
- Leury Garcia (CF): 1-for-4, HR (2), BB, RBI, run, K
- Jose Abreu (1B): 2-for-4, 2 HR (7), BB, 2 RBI, 2 runs, K
- Eloy Jimenez (LF): 1-for-4, BB, 2 K
- Edwin Encarnacion (DH): 1-for-4, BB, 2 K
- James McCann (C): 1-for-4, GIDP
- Nomar Mazara (RF): 0-for-3, BB, K
- Danny Mendick (3B): 1-for-4, K
- Nick Madrigal (2B): 0-for-3, BB
- Lucas Giolito (L, 3-2): 5.0 IP, 6 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 4 BB, 6 K
- Jimmy Cordero: 0.0 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
- Kelvin Herrera: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 1 K
- Evan Marshall: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K
W: Dylan Bundy (3-1) | L: Lucas Giolito (2-3) | S: Julio Teheran (1)
Player of the Game
- Jose Abreu: 2-for-4, 2 HR, 2 RBI, 2 runs
Game Broadcast presented by Sox In The Basement
Follow our friends on Twitter at @SoxInTheBasemnt!
The White Sox fall back to three games behind after suffering their 10th loss of the season.
- Twins: 19-7
- White Sox: 16-10, 3.0 GB
- Indians: 15-12, 4.5 GB
- Royals: 8-16, 10.0 GB
- Tigers: 8-17, 10.5 GB
Dallas Keuchel will take on Shohei Ohtani, who we guess is healthy in the virtual world? We’ll see how this one shakes out at 9:00 PM CST.
For more White Sox content, be sure to follow @SoxOn35th on all social media platforms!