Here at Sox On 35th, we boast a talented and passionate team of contributors that provides coverage all year long. To help you get familiar with our staff, we will be rolling out our “Meet the Team” article series throughout the offseason. In this edition, we get to know our Tim Moran.
Hey everyone! My name is Tim Moran, and I’m a Senior Contributor for Sox On 35th. I’m a bit of an outlier, as I grew up in the Northwest suburbs with my father and nearly all of my close friends being Cubs fans. Thankfully my mother raised me the right way, and here I am now writing on the South Siders.
I became interested in sports journalism after joining my high school newspaper, and after a few years held the title of Sports Editor. After starting with another small Chicago sports blog, I made my way to Sox On 35th the summer before heading off to college at The University of Notre Dame. Little did I know our very own Jordan Lazowski was set to be my freshman-year RA! At that point, we were mostly just a popular Sox Twitter page, so it’s been wonderful to see the growth of the page in multiple areas during my four-and-a-half years.
You’ll see me write recaps fairly often during the season, but my favorite articles to write are long-form analysis pieces. They may not always get as many views, but I genuinely appreciate those who take the time to read them and engage in any conversation. Regardless, I appreciate all South Siders who interact with us in any way!
- Page Role: Senior Contributor
- Hometown: Palatine, IL
- Current Town: Chicago, IL
- Education: Computer Science – University of Notre Dame
- Favorite White Sox Player: Tim Anderson currently, Paul Konerko overall. Both are popular choices for obvious reasons, but I especially love TA7 because we share the same name, favorite number, and position.
- Favorite non-White Sox Players: Shohei Ohtani, Joey Votto, Trevor Williams, and now Jose Abreu (sad face).
- Favorite Thing About Being a White Sox Fan: I love our ballpark experience. Transportation to the park is easy, food options are plentiful and tasty, many games are fairly cheap, and the crowd knows their baseball.
- Least Favorite Baseball Team:
Chicago White SoxCleveland Guardians.
- Favorite White Sox Uniform: The new Southside City Edition jerseys are just too clean.
- “Mount Rushmore” of White Sox Players: Frank Thomas, Minnie Minoso, Luke Appling, Paul Konerko.
- Favorite In-Person White Sox Memories: Being at Mark Buehrle‘s jersey retirement game and visiting American Family Field in Milwaukee last year to see the South Siders were both super cool, but nothing tops being able to attend the 2021 Blackout Game 3, which was as shocking as it was electric:
- Least Favorite In-Person White Sox Memories: I had the unfortunate displeasure of attending back-to-back games at the very end of this past season, both lifeless home losses. That was by far the most unenthused I’ve ever seen Guaranteed Rate Field, and I hope to never see it that way again.
- Favorite Baseball Movie: Moneyball
- Favorite Baseball Stat: Definitely wRC+. It measures a player’s entire offensive value and expresses it in a simple relative-to-100 format!
- Favorite Ballpark Food: Loaded baked potato.
- Favorite Ballpark: Guaranteed Rate, but I’ve only been to three.
- Ballpark You Want to Visit: Fenway Park is a must.
- All-time Favorite Broadcaster Call: Another likely popular choice, but it has to be Dewayne Wise‘s perfect-game-saving catch at the wall.
- Who Would Play You in a Movie: Alan Ruck, who played Cameron in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. Cameron looks and sounds a lot like me at times in that classic of a film.
- Favorite Fast-Food: Can’t beat Chick-Fil-A.
- Favorite TV Show: The Office.
- Favorite Hobbies: Outside of watching and playing the major sports, I spend time on disc golf, chess, piano, and music production.
- Favorite Band/Artist: Quinn XCII
- Favorite Professional Team Aside from Baseball: Chicago Bulls.
- Favorite Personal Sports Moment: I hit a walk-off single against one of the top two teams in our 12U travel league in a game we all expected to lose.
- If you had to play one album for the rest of your life, what would it be: Bad Suns’ Apocalypse Whenever or Ye’s Donda.
- Do you collect anything? If so, what: Sports gambling debt.
- Twitter: @Timthemoran