Home » Articles » Chicago police believe gunshots at Friday’s White Sox game came from inside the stadium

Chicago police believe gunshots at Friday’s White Sox game came from inside the stadium

by Joe Binder

Chicago police provided an update regarding their investigation into a shooting incident that wounded two women at Friday night’s White Sox game.

Fred Waller, interim superintendent of the Chicago Police Department, said Monday that investigators have nearly ruled out the possibility that the shots came from outside the ballpark. The finding ultimately means that a gun went off inside Guaranteed Rate Field at some point during the game.

“We’re dispelling a lot of things,” Waller said during a brief media availability. “(A shot) coming from outside is something we’ve almost completely dispelled. We’re still looking at every avenue. It’s still under investigation. Something from inside, it could’ve happened that way. We’re looking at every avenue, exploring every lead and everything that we can get.”

Waller also said the police department initially requested that the game be halted after the shooting was discovered, though there was never a delay in play, and fans in attendance didn’t find out until rumors circulated on social media hours later.

Mayor Brandon Johnson said he was made aware of the shooting shortly after it occurred but has declined to comment on the organization’s controversial decision to continue the game.

“Obviously, this is an ongoing investigation, and the Chicago Police Department has done a remarkable job of gathering all the evidence and as more information becomes available, that information will be reported,” Johnson said.

White Sox spokesman Scott Reifert said on Saturday that police determined there was “no active threat and that the ballgame could continue.” The team also was in contact with Major League Baseball throughout the matter.

“If the police want to stop the game, they’re going to stop the game,” Reifert said.

Based on what can be gathered from various reports, multiple people were involved in a shooting incident inside Guaranteed Rate Field during Friday night’s game. A recording from a Chicago-area police scanner can be heard saying there were three victims involved in the incident that took place around sections 161 and 162, though official statements have since only identified two individuals who were struck.

While it is not entirely known at what point during the game the supposed shooting occurred, it was speculated to have occurred as early as the third inning. The incident was followed by the evacuation of only the affected sections while many others had no idea the alleged shooting even took place.

Several hours after the incident occurred, the White Sox and Chicago Police Department released the following statements on the matter:

“The Chicago White Sox released the following statement regarding tonight’s incident: Two fans attending Friday’s game suffered non-life threatening injuries after being struck by bullets. It is unclear to investigators whether the shots were fired from outside or inside the ballpark. The incident continues to be investigated by Area One detectives from the Chicago Police Department. While the police continue to investigate, White Sox security confirms that this incident did not involve an altercation of any kind. The White Sox are thinking of the victims at this time and wishing them a speedy recovery.”

Chicago White Sox (via Twitter press release)

“This evening during the Chicago White Sox vs Oakland Athletics game at Guaranteed Rate Field, a 42-year-old female victim sustained one gun-shot wound to the leg. A 26-year-old female victim also sustained a graze wound to the abdomen. The 42-year-old female was transported to University of Chicago Medical Center where she is listed in fair condition. The 26-year-old female refused medical attention. Upon receiving notification of this incident, CPD responded immediately and deployed additional resources while coordinating with White Sox security to maintain the safety of those who were in attendance of working at the game. At no time was it believed there was an active threat. This information is still preliminary as Area One Detectives are investigating. We are asking anyone with information about this incident to please contact Area One Detective Division at 312-747-8380 or submit an anonymous tip through CPDTIP.com”

Chicago Police Department (via Twitter press release)

The White Sox also canceled their Vanilla Ice postgame concert due to “technical issues” – though it’s now known those issues were related to this incident.

As the investigation continues, we will continue to monitor for any further updates.

Be sure to follow us on social media @SoxOn35th!

Featured Photo: © Kamil Krzaczynski-USA TODAY Sports

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

You may also like