In one of the most exciting games all season, the White Sox offense carried the team to a dramatic 13-9 victory to close out the homestand. Eloy Jimenez hit a moonshot to center and James McCann hit the game-winning grand slam in the eighth inning to lead the South Siders to a season series win over Houston.
W: Alex Colome (4-2) | L: Ryan Pressly (2-3)
- Tim Anderson (SS): 4-5, 2 2B, RBI, run
- James McCann (C): 2-5, HR (13) – Grand Slam, 4 RBI, 2 runs
- Eloy Jimenez (LF): 2-5, HR (20), RBI, 3 runs
- Ryan Goins (3B): 0-4, 3 K, 3 LOB – Only player in the starting lineup to not get a hit.
- Ross Detwiler (SP): 4.2 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 3 K, 1 HR
Moment of the Game
There’s something about grand slams against the Astros. They just feel different, and I think we all know why. On an 0-2 count in the 8th inning, James McCann delivered with an opposite field slam to put the Sox ahead by four. In what has been a remarkable season for the All-Star, this might be his most memorable highlight.
🚨 JAMES MCCANN GRAND SLAM 🚨
— McCann On 35th (@SoxOn35th) August 14, 2019
Stats On 35th – Let’s Break this One Down by the Numbers
32.4, 20, 13, 3, 571
James McCann is today’s White Sox MVP in terms of Win Probability Added (WPA) with 32.4 percentage points this afternoon. Hit a grand slam in the bottom of the eighth in a tied ballgame and that’s what happens.
Eloy Jimenez became the 11th White Sox rookie to hit 20 home runs in a season with an absolute moonshot to centerfield. We’re talking Jim Thome power once again, as this ball was measured at 434 feet. Also, while we’re on the number 20, that’s how many doubles Tim Anderson has this season after hitting a pair this afternoon.
That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.— Sox On 35th (@SoxOn35th) August 14, 2019
The 13 runs scored today marks a season-high for the White Sox. Minus Ryan Goins, every player in the starting lineup helped contribute with at least one hit.
The White Sox have won three season series in the last five seasons vs. Houston. They have also won four of the last five games against the Astros.
In the month of August, the White Sox now own a record of 8-6. That gives the team a .571 winning percentage ahead of their upcoming road trip.
Looking Ahead: West Coast bound to take on the Angels
- Thursday: Reynaldo Lopez (7-9, 5.16 ERA) vs. Andrew Heany (1-3, 4.89 ERA), 9:07 PM CT – Angel Stadium
- Friday: Lucas Giolito (12-6, 3.42 ERA) vs. Patrick Sandoval (0-0, 5.59 ERA), 9:07 PM CT – Angel Stadium
- Saturday: TBD vs. Jose Suarez (2-4, 6.57 ERA), 8:07 PM CT – Angel Stadium
- Sunday: TBD vs. Griffin Canning (4-6, 4.86 ERA), 3:07 PM CT – Angel Stadium
Player of the Game
Vote for the player of today’s series finale! As always, let us know in the comments if you think it should be someone else.